Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

T3- Great Advice

Somebody peel me off a golden star because I am actually posting my Three Thing Thursday post on a Thursday today! This never happens :) I'm experiencing a lot of changes in my life right now and I'm always looking for great advice to keep me going, so I thought I'd share the three best pieces of advice I've ever gotten/given.

1.) Be true to yourself- "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you." -Dr. Suess :) It is truer than true. I used to live my life according to standards and opinions of everyone else around me, but ultimately none of it matters if you are unhappy. I think that the most important thing in life is to be true to yourself and live life the way you think it is supposed to be lived. There is no manual or how-to guide for life, so it's up to individuals to pave their own path that meets their dreams, needs, and desires.

2.) Do what makes you happy- I had a wonderful job after I graduated high school; I was a technical writer for a defense contracting company. A job that generally requires a masters degree and a few years of experience; needless to say, I was a bit ahead of my peers. I was making 35K a year with full medical benefits and paid time off...you see what I'm getting at here: it was a really great job. I got laid off last August because the company was making budget cuts; life as I knew it quickly flashed in front of my eyes. I couldn't imagine being happy without my career. Today I am unemployed, living with my father, and struggling to pay for school, but I am the happiest I've been in my life. Losing my job taught me that life is not about working, making money, and sitting at a desk 40+ hours a week...life is about doing what makes you happy, regardless of what it may be. I have time to hula-hoop, read books, exercise, take naps, and savor every minute of my day. 

3.) Love & respect yourself- Let me clarify that I am not promoting selfishness or conceitedness, but love and acceptance of your individual self. I am neurotic, I have ridiculous pet peeves, I have strange eating habits, I have stretch marks on my hips, terrible morning breath, giant hair, and acne that will hang around until my late thirties, but I don't mind so much anymore. It is extremely common, especially for women, to judge themselves and hold insecurities, but I have recently learned that it is completely pointless. When no one else is there to love and respect you, you have to be able to do that for yourself. Know that it's okay to be different, strange, weird, or whatever you may be...

Happy Thursday, err'body :) Fitness Friday post tomorrow! You can count on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment