Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Opinion: Unemployment

One would assume that without a job, I could devote more time to my blog, but that is obviously a fictitious assumption. I’ve been really busy. Okay, in actuality, I’ve just been sleeping a lot, spending tons of time with my wonderful boyfriend, perfecting my already perfect Free Cell strategies, and making/selling hula hoops. With that said, I have two things to announce: 1) I am happier than I’ve ever been; 2) Getting laid off is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

For the past year and a half, I woke up with a strange feeling in my stomach and an impeding reminder in my mind that I would be going to work soon. I did not necessarily dislike my job; in fact, at one point I absolutely loved what I did for a living, but the basic truth is that it simply was not the right fit for me and the scary truth is that I overlooked that for monetary reasons. 45 hours a week, I sat in a chair that I did not belong in, impatiently watching the clock and counting down until I could leave. Weekends were failed attempts at escaping my occupation for two days: I dreaded Monday morning when I would have to return to work and could never actually enjoy my time off. For 15 months, I watched my peers enjoy their youth, I watched my stress-levels sky-rocket, I watched my mind progress to that of a 35-year old, and I lost sight of what matters most to me in my life: following my heart and doing what makes me happy.

The day I got laid off, I endured emotions ranging from confusion to anger to happiness- the truth is that I really wasn’t shocked about the company’s decision. I had anticipated this coming for a few months and I was almost relieved when it all was over. Initially, I was so worried about finances and my quality life that I didn’t notice the shift in my mind, body, and surroundings, but once I figured about my bank account realized that I don’t give a shit about money, I was overwhelmed with the way I felt. For the first time for as long as I can remember, I stopped worrying about my job…in fact, I stopped worrying about everything. I remember the day after I lost my job: I woke up around 9 o’clock, got ready for the day, and called boyfriend just to tell him that I was wearing jeans and flip-flops on a Tuesday for the first time in over a year.

For the past two weeks, I’ve slept, spent tons of quality time with people that I love, practiced yoga, gone grocery shopping, played video games, watched movies, sold hula-hoops, worn ripped jeans, and absolutely 100% enjoyed this time without a single concern.


I vow to myself that I will never again spend 33% of my life doing something that makes me so unhappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment